Free Advice

A quick question regarding mileage payments


Here is a common question: I am employed by a charity that provides me with a car less than 1400 cc. They pay for all the petrol, but the charity reimburses me for work related journeys at .15 pence per mile. This rate has not changed since June 2011, although the price of petrol has increased. Can I claim back any more petrol costs for work journeys from HMRC ?.

Answer: Unfortunately not. The advisory fuel rate for cars with petrol engines of up to 1400cc is 15p per mile and it hasn’t changed since 1 June 2011. The rates for LPG cars and diesels have moved slightly over that period but not much. You should ask the charity or church to pay more per mile.